Travelling to Bulgaria by car
Are you planning to travel to Bulgaria by car? Please take the following into account:
- Beforehand: Make sure that your car is in a good condition and that you have all the required equipment in the car, e.g. a first aid kit and bandages.
- Insurance: Make sure your car is insured and contact your insurance company to confirm that you are also covered in Bulgaria.
- Traffic rules: Make sure you know the traffic rules in Bulgaria and obey the speed limits and traffic signs. Wearing a seatbelt and not using mobile phones while driving are mandatory.
- Traffic safety: Be careful and pay attention to the traffic around you.
- Staying overnight: Plan your stops to have a break and to get some sleep and stay in controlled accommodation, e.g. hotels or holiday homes.
Below you can read what else you should take into account during your trip.
Paying toll charges in Bulgaria
In Bulgaria, you must pay toll charges for certain roads and motorways. You will have to buy an e-vignette for this that is linked to your registration number. Go to our Bulgaria page, for more information.
Apply for a vignette for Bulgaria
2023 Corona rules travellers by car
Below you will find some general measures that might be applicable:
- Health check: At the border crossings or upon arrival at the airport you may be asked to perform a health check, such as taking your temperature.
- Mask requirement: Wearing a face mask is mandatory in public areas, e.g. on public transport, in shops and in certain crowded areas.
- Social distancing: There is an obligation to keep a minimum social distance of 1.5 meters.
- Restrictions for groups: There may be restrictions on the number of people that can be together in public areas or in certain locations.
- Quarantine: If you come from an area with a high number of corona infections, you may be asked to observe a quarantine period.
Are there any border checks in Bulgaria?
There may be border checks in Bulgaria, depending on the current political and safety situation. It is advisable to keep up to date with the latest travel advice and information regarding any border checks, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic. Please note that you must have the necessary documents with you, such as a valid passport or identity card, and possibly insurance documents for your car.
The best route to Bulgaria by car
Below you will find the most popular routes:
- Route 1: Via Germany and Austria: Drive via Cologne, Frankfurt, Munich, Vienna and Budapest to Bulgaria.
- Route 2: Via Austria and Serbia: Drive via Vienna and Budapest to Belgrade in Serbia and then on to Sofia in Bulgaria.
- Route 3: Via Germany, Austria and Hungary: Travel via Cologne, Frankfurt and Munich to Budapest in Hungary and then on to Sofia in Bulgaria.
Which route will you take through Bulgaria?
There are many beautiful routes through Bulgaria that you can take by car. Below are some examples:
- The Rila Monastery: Head from Sofia to the Rila Monastery, one of the best known and most visited tourist attractions in Bulgaria.
- The Black Sea Coastal: Drive along the coast of the Black Sea, through the beautiful seaside resorts and historic cities such as Varna and Burgas.
- The Pirin Mountains: Drive through the Pirin Mountains and visit the ski resorts and beautiful lakes in the area.
- The Seven Rila Lakes: Go to the Rila Mountains and visit the Seven Rila Lakes, a beautiful nature resort with clear lakes and breath-taking views.
- The Rose Valley: Drive through the Rose Valley and visit the towns of Kazanlak and Karlovo, known for their production of rose oil and roses.
Travelling to Bulgaria by electric car
There are more than 800 charging points for electric vehicles in Bulgaria, while there are about 100,000 in for example the Netherlands. So, make sure you plan your trip carefully when you travel through the country by electric car.
Mandatory to have in the car
- Valid driving license: In Bulgaria you must have a valid driving license with you.
- Insurance: A valid insurance policy that is also valid in Bulgaria.
- Registration document: A valid registration document for the car.
- Lighting: Functioning lighting, such as headlights, brake lights and indicators.
- Safety equipment: A seatbelt for the driver and all passengers, a fire extinguisher, and a safety vest for each passenger.
- Winter equipment: In winter it is mandatory to use winter tires or to have snow chains.
- First aid kit: A first aid kit is recommended.
Fuel prices in Bulgaria
Below you will find the current fuel prices in Bulgaria ((last updated on 03-02-2023)
- Euro 95 (E10): €1.291
- Diesel (B7): €1.465
- LPG: €0.573
Main traffic rules in Bulgaria
- Drive on the right side of the road
- Everyone in the car must wear a seatbelt
- It is not allowed to talk on the phone or send text messages while driving
- It is mandatory to have a valid insurance document with you
- It is not allowed to consumer alcohol while driving and heavy penalties will apply
- Children under the age of 12 must be transported in a special child seat.
- It is mandatory to have a warning triangle and first aid kit in the car.
View the latest news for Bulgaria below, or view all news.
NJ Vignette B.V. is an intermediary and applies for the vignette on your behalf and in your name. NJ Vignette B.V. charges a commission for this.
An agreement is concluded between you and the official authority of the relevant country that issues the vignette, with regard to the vignette requirement.
All prices on our website are including vat.